To take forward a number of the key innovations in housing policy that ResPublica has pioneered in recent months, we will be co-ordinating a full day 'thought leaders' conference, entitled 'Raising the Roof', which will take place in early June 2013.
The event will draw together leading politicians, policy makers, academics and practitioners to set out the new challenges and fresh opportunities for the affordable housing sector in the run up to the next election. Discussions will build on two of ResPublica's recent reports, Acting on Localism
, which set out how housing associations can act as vehicles for community ambition, and Responsible Recovery
, which focuses on housing providers' central role as catalysts for local economies.
In the context of the Localism and Social Value Acts, the enormous transformations in welfare and public sector provision, we would like to set and discuss a new agenda for the role of housing associations in the UK.
The conference will be framed by two plenary sessions, and will explore and identify a new 'social bar' for housing associations, and set out the sector's ambitions for the future.
Topics that will be covered through the five panel sessions will include:
- Responding locally: the 'welfare reform' challenge
- Skilling up the next generation: education, employment and skills
- Radicalising localism: public service partnerships working with and for communities
- Brokering local economies: creating and making markets that work for people
- Shaping place: neighbourhood planning and community infrastructure